Gravity::Works was selected to complete the final phase of a multi-phased design and construction project to renovate and expand the historical 1950’s Art Deco Fire Station No. 1. The project consisted of adding apparatus bays to accommodate modern equipment, provide needed equipment storage and maintenance rooms, provide training and multi-purpose rooms, and perform preservation and energy upgrades to the building.
Two key goals were to design an addition that fit the original Art Deco design and integrate training into the building. To respect the original design, Gravity::Works studied the building and incorporated modern versions of the historic details as well as accommodate the original porcelain building lettering into the new design. To integrate training with the building, we closely reviewed the design with the Fire Department representatives to identify where various building features could be incorporated into the high-bays. This allowed training to occur on-site and keep fire fighters ready to respond.